MY HAM RADIO LOG - ZL1AQ

THIS WILL BE MY HAM RADIO LOG FROM 24 MAY 2005. A MAJOR BLOG CHANGE HAS BEEN NECESSARY. MY ATTEMPT TO PRESENT A 'HIGH INTEREST BLOG' FOR OTHERS TO ENJOY WAS A DISMAL FAILURE.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Once bitten..............

As a hobby and in regard to equipment Ham Radio used to be - 'build it yourself or go without'. Forty-seven years ago I built my first transmitter as simple as it was. The power supply was made from new and old components some taken from old thrown out radios. That was my downfall! The first time I switched on the high tension, 'Swoosh'! The 'old' receiver wet electrolytics exploded sending a spray of electrolyte to the ceiling! When I rebuilt the power supply I made sure that the working voltage of the brand new electrolytics was quite capable of handling the transformer voltage. Glad I was not on 'Candid Camera'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home